Saturday, July 24, 2010

Melon Petit Gris de Rennes

This morning I went to the garden and saw a melon that had turned colors. I brought my bride out to show her and now we had a problem. We didn't know when you pick the melon. So we looked it up and found out when you see the stem cracking around the base and you move it a little, the melon should just fall off. Well you know we did just that and the melon did just that.
We left it in the house an hour or so. It smelled so wonderful. It weighed two & half pounds. We sliced it open and ate it all in one sitting. We found out a couple of things today about the
" Melon Petit Gris de Rennes."
First of all, I read that if a person can grow this melon they are a Master Gardener. I know that isn't true because we grew this one and four more are on the vine. Second of all, the grocery store melons have a green line in between the skin and edible part of the fruit. Ours doesn't because we do not have to pick it early for market. We get to pick and eat at just the right time. Last, I spotted this melon when it was little bigger than a golf ball on June 26th, so I think it takes about 29 - 34 days after the flower fruits for this kind of melon to mature.
Here is a pumpkin pie. Well maybe not yet but that's where this pumpkin we harvested is off to.
Boo Boo admiring the table flowers this morning. He likes watermelon and Petit Gris de Rennes as well.

No comments: