Monday, July 5, 2010

The Garden Today

I love the fact that I cannot get the garden in one shot anymore. I also love the fact that the back room isn't red white with peeling paint and rotten wood everywhere.
This morning this sunflower almost seemed to be singing.
The Tennessee Sweet Potato got so big I had to cut it out of the stocking. Now we have used stockings like hammocks for it. I have read that this thing will grow to 15lbs but I think we are there already.
I have been pinching the watermelon flowers off since we have more than I know growing on the vine. They are at least 10-12 inches long and that much or more around. I have tried to count them but I come up with a different number every time. How many watermelons do you see in the photograph below? It's why it is so hard to count them.

Two cucumbers picked just this morning. I only killed 3 cuke beetles this morning. Which means we made it through the first infestation of the season. Two more to go . I will be amazed if we make it all season long. The cucumbers we planted are just regular 10 cent seeds. I do not even know the name of the variety. Last year we harvested one cucumber before the plant died because of the beetles. We did order County Fair Cucumber seeds, which will arrive in a week or so. I am going to build a new compost bed for them to grow in and we will be making pickles out of them. They say they will not be bothered by the cuke beetles and all the flowers are female. So we can net the whole plant and not have any bugs get them. You can't save the seeds however so we will have to order the seeds again next year. Every place online was sold out, but one.

2 comments:

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Cucumbers already? Mine are just an inch long. We don't have your Midwest heat that speeds everything up. I remember my garden in Lee's Summit: all vegetables grew bigger and earlier than here in the NW.
I like your raised beds, and the bouquet from the next post is lovely.
I found your blog at Blotanical. Happy gardening!

Justin and Anne said...

I love your garden layout! I just found your blog on Blotanical and will have to add it to my Google Reader!!