Sunday, July 18, 2010

Lunch Today

What we had today for lunch and this mornings harvest from the garden. We have had about 20 cucumbers this year from the one ten cent seed pack. The fact that we were able to nurse a cucumber plant along and not have the cuke beetles beat us is amazing to me. The store here charges 1.29 for each organic cucumber and the same with the green peppers. We have had three watermelons from the garden now. The little Serrano peppers are coming in now too! What I am really looking forward to is more sweet corn. I have always bought it from the road side or grocery store. When it is picked a few minutes before boiling however it is like candy as the starches haven't had time to develop. I think I will never again buy sweet corn that wasn't picked within a few minutes of boiling. We did purchase sweet corn at the farmers market a few weeks ago. It was picked the night before we got it. I think the corn was good but I bet it was awesome the night before.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Watermelons and corn! We might have trouble getting either this year. Such a cold start here in So. Oregon. I have some cantaloupes in the greenhouse and we are just picking our first tomatoes. I am jealous of your season, but maybe not your humidity!