Sunday, July 25, 2010

Boo Boo vs the Onions

So we spent some time in the garden today and pulled out some onions that were ready. Boo Boo was very interested in them and just jumped up on the little table to get a better look.
Remember the Tennessee Sweet Potato we harvested last week? Well here is just a small part of it turned into muffins and a pie. The pie tasted just like a sweet potato pie but only lighter. Very rich and creamy.
Here are a couple of Tennessee Sweet Potatoes that are now growing since we cut the monster one. There are a number of them now. One vine in this plant is well over 30 feet long.
Another thing we spent time doing today was trimming the tomatoes. I believe by trimming the lower leaves off, the plant will put it's energy into the fruit on the vine as well as producing more , while allowing sunlight to ripen the tomatoes faster. I do not know if I am right or not but we took a chance.

1 comment:

Rowena said...

I've been doing the same for my tomato plants because the bottom branches were starting to turn brown anyway. It makes perfect sense though! Boo Boo is adorable!!!!