Saturday, June 26, 2010

The new bed is finished & other stuff

Petit Gris De Rennes is the formal name but Cantaloupe works for us. I had a few of these growing last year but as soon as they were about to ripen I lost them to the cuke beetles. So here we go for another attempt.
We also have the peppers forming nicely. Looking forward to having them in a couple of weeks.

Today we installed the cedar around the new beds we sifted a couple of weekends ago. Shallots are planted on the top bed along with onions and potatoes were planted at the last bed. We have two empty beds in the middle and we get to decide what will grow there. We never had enough space before, but I am sure by morning we will have something selected to grow there. We were able to do this the last two days. The temperature is 95 or above. We are amazed that we do not melt but have adapted to the heat. I recently watch a documentary about Harry S Truman. He was from Missouri and spent ten years as a farmer. I can tell you anyone who was a farmer from Missouri back then I would not want to mess with. They had to have endurance to be in this sun all day, every day shoving rock and clay around. I think it sad that now, most of the population in the part of Missouri we live couldn't last ten minutes in a garden let alone work a farm. I think the people who use to live here had to be some of the strongest stock in the country.
Harvey the watermelon gave us some pretty good seeds to work with. There are more than I know on the vines of the watermelon plants. Wouldn't it be something to have watermelon in excess like tomatoes. The neighborhood would love us.
Finally the raspberries did not turn red like we wanted but remained a pink color with a bit of a sour taste. So we ripped them out and went to the nursery and purchased these plants from Poland. They had some fruiting so we were able to taste before hand.

This is Charlie, named because he lives in the chard. He has a friend named Herb who lives in the herbs a few beds to the south. We discovered 6 baby bunnies living in a nest in Herbs bed about 30 minutes ago. They look like mice when they are that small. Something about having bunnies living in a garden doesn't sound right to me. They don't even pay rent, at least the toads catch the insects for us.

1 comment:

L. D. said...

You sure have things shaping up down there. You are about a month ahead of us. Your cedar boxes will work great. You have everything is control with those raised beds.