
Last weekend we purchased a Japanese Beetle trap. They were doing some damage to the grape vine, apple trees and raspberries. I hung it up and instantly they swarmed it.

The trap has something to do with sex scent for them. Here is a close up of a beetle orgy, shortly before they die. Before the trap I had to use the dust buster to
vacuum them up every few hours.

Yesterday I piled straw on top of the potatoes. I hope I did it right. I am told the harvest will be much greater. If I didn't do it right let me know, I would appreciate it so much.

Here are a few shots this afternoon in the garden. I am
amazed everything is growing. The watermelon are doing great. At least a dozen 6-7 inches like this one and several dozen more smaller.

The corn is beautiful.

Today I
spotted the first of a few cucumbers that are growing. Last year we got two before the
cuke beetles killed the plant. I am holding my breath about all these plants because they have been hard for us to grow to completion.

One of four french melons alive. Maybe three weeks from harvest. I am told this is the most difficult plant to harvest organically. We have not lost one yet and maybe we might even get more. I would be thrilled to get one off the vine and find out if the two years of trial and effort is worth it.

This is the
Tennessee Sweet potato growing in a nylon stocking to support it on the fence. The Squash Vine Borer has visited us and we lost one pumpkin plant.

The Vine Borer will lay it's eggs on the trunk of the plant. When they hatch they go into the hollow vine and starve out the plant making all the fruit turn to mush. Several gardens in the neighborhood have been attacked and all the squash is sitting there mushy and dead. The gardeners must take the plant out and throw it in the garbage as the compost pile will not kill the vine borers inside. To combat them we have used the dust buster on the adults that fly around the garden, put
Cinnamon on the bases of the plants and I wipe the bases down everyday to kill and eggs that have been laid. This is one of several cooking pumpkins on a nylon sling we hope to bring to the table for pumpkin pie. Again, I am holding my breath as it is not an easy feat for us to win the battle against the bugs.

Finally the Pink
Hydrangea Doublicious in full glory. We only have one bloom but I hope this little plant and the other two take good root this year and we have plenty of blooms next year.
2 comments:
Your produce is beautiful!
Tonight we harvested green beans, green peppers, basil, oregano, 4 cherry tomatoes and 2 big tomatoes! Tell your bride I'm trying the olive oil and chopped basil frozen into cubes in one of many efforts to save these delicious herbs for winter cooking. It was a pleasure seeing your gardens in person. Thanks for the tour!
Meri, the neighbor *grin*
Post a Comment