Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Lasagna Gardening

Friday Night we went to the book store to browse and have coffee. I found this book called Lasagna Gardening in which a person doesn't need to remove the sod, sift through the soil for rocks, spark plugs, glass, tin cans, roofing shingles, nails, coat hangers and all the other things one finds in the soil down here. (what...your soil doesn't have these things?) Anyway today, I soaked a bunch of newspaper in a trash can full of water and then laid the paper out on the ground. I then put down 1/2" of Peat Moss followed by 4" of good compost & manure mix. Another 1/2" of peat moss, follwed by 2" of grass clipping. Another layer of 1/2" peat moss followed by 2" of chopped leaves. Another 1/2" of peat moss followed by wood ashes and the rest of the peat moss. Now we can grow squash, pumpkins, melons and what not right on top of this mix today. We are going to wait two weeks before planting however. From what I read I will not have to weed or mess with this bed again.

No comments: