
This weekend we started to garden once again. Yeah! It was so nice to get outside. We are replacing all the rock with wood. I made two new beds this weekend as well. Each bed takes a full day to dig and sift through the rock, glass shards, nails and whatever else comes up. Mostly rocks. After sifting the dirt out we add sand, soil, compost. The bed on the left had potatoes put in already. Saint
Patrick's day is when you are suppose to put them in b
ut I looked at the weather until then and saw it was going to be in the 60's.

The bed closest here has had the rock removed and the wood put around it. The chives and
shallots are doing well already.

This is what our soil starts like. This is also why it takes a day to dig a 2" x 8' hole 16" deep and remove all that
foreign matter. The rocks we are saving and I will show you what we are doing with them after it is done. People go to the store and buy landscaping rocks around here. The ground is nothing but rocks here. (I know I am missing something.)

I have been wanting to
build a better compost bin for a while now. This week I also got this done. The font above is the old base board moldings from the house. They slide right in and out so it is easy now to remove or flip the compost.

This is the back of the bin. About every five days I will go out and put all the compost in the other side with the bags of leaves in it. Then five days latter flip it again. I can make pretty good dirt in two months this way. It is a 48" x 48" x 48" pile so it gets pretty hot. A lot of people might say this is a lot of work but I say work is going to an office every day. This is fun and it doesn't cost anything. Plus we get dirt for the garden and my wife is happy.
No comments:
Post a Comment