This is a European Melon. It is growing along with our watermelons. We fought the beetles bravely for many weeks, squishing them between our fingers, thinking we would actually be able to grow this heirloom melon. All I ever saw was flowers and beetles eating them. Suddenly tonight while watering the melon bed, I saw what looked like two soft ball size melons growing in our melon patch. Upon closer inspection I was glad to run into the house and get my bride. I proudly told her, like an Indian Chief, "Me big melon grower." I am told that growing a melon to completion is an accomplishment that any gardener ought to be proud of. I will be if they grow to completion. The variety of melon we are growing is of the best French Variety and a favorite of a melon expert and author Bruno Defray. It is rare in the USA. Sunday, August 16, 2009
Petit Gris De Rennes
This is a European Melon. It is growing along with our watermelons. We fought the beetles bravely for many weeks, squishing them between our fingers, thinking we would actually be able to grow this heirloom melon. All I ever saw was flowers and beetles eating them. Suddenly tonight while watering the melon bed, I saw what looked like two soft ball size melons growing in our melon patch. Upon closer inspection I was glad to run into the house and get my bride. I proudly told her, like an Indian Chief, "Me big melon grower." I am told that growing a melon to completion is an accomplishment that any gardener ought to be proud of. I will be if they grow to completion. The variety of melon we are growing is of the best French Variety and a favorite of a melon expert and author Bruno Defray. It is rare in the USA.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment